Tuesday, August 09, 2005

They hear but do not understand, they have eyes but do not see

Some good stuff going on at Godol Hador. I, perhaps naively, asked
I'm curious how people can learn something without understanding it and apparently thinking that they do understand. They must think they understand, right? How else could they learn it? What does someone who knows nothing of math or science think he's doing when he learns Gemara that deals with these subjects? How can he not be aware that he doesn't know what's going on??
I was immediately reminded not to underestimate the power of cognitive dissonance. How many people "have heard the word "firmament" but have never looked up what it means?", Mis-nagid pointed out. I was also reminded that people sometimes "daven" a Gemara, something I remember kids doing. Good point. It's just....it's weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
'